Zynq : Manual debugging of an RTEMS demo

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Mar 25 00:51:34 UTC 2016

On 25/03/2016 2:30 AM, Badr El Hiouel wrote:

> I'm trying to perform a manual debugging of an rtems demo (ie ticker.elf)
> In an XMD console i connected hw ,source the ps7_init and then download the
> ticker.elf. In a terminal I started gdb , connect it to target remote
> localhost:1234 and then I did :
>
> (gdb) list
> (gdb) break _start
> it went fine until I did
> (gdb) cont
>
> then it never stops or sometimes it shows me an error
>
> Remote failure reply: E01
>> What can be the problem? ​
> ​​

Did XMD produce any output that indicates a problem? Please make sure
XMD has not crashed. I have seen it crash in the past, however that was
a while ago on an old SDK.

Maybe set a few other breakpoints. I would set breakpoints on bootcard
and Init.

> ​I just want to debug this demo and understand the start.s

If you have debugging info you should see the assembler source code for
start.S and so you should be able to step it. If you see the source code
try 's' or 'si'.

I assume there is no watchdog hardware running?

> ​lease let me know if anybody did this before or if any doc exists in the
> subject.

I have never used XMD but I know users have. I have been using OpenOCD.

Chris