Debugging/OpenOCD

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Mar 30 10:17:18 UTC 2016

On 30/03/2016 8:41 PM, Badr El Hiouel wrote:

> Can you please tell me what's the advantages and the downside of using
> OpenOCD debugging method instead of existing xilinx methods ?

I cannot comment about the Xilinx tools because I have not used them.
Xilinx does not support FreeBSD or OS X which I tend to use most of the
time. I have no alternative.

> I have a zedboard , What is the materiel I have to buy to perform an
> OpenOCD ?

You need an adaptor, which is a USB to 20pin ARM standard device. I am
using a Flyswatter2 from Tincanntools
(http://www.tincantools.com/JTAG/Flyswatter2.html). These have a 20pin
header.

> I read the paper that Chris wrote:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Debugging/OpenOCD/Xilinx_Zynq
>
> He's talking about an adapter from Avnet , How to use this adapter with
> the Zedboard ?

You need something like this to take the standard 20pin header ARM has
defined and adapt it to the 14pin Xilinx standard connector. You can
make your own or get one from Avnet.

> In the site of avnet they're talking about DStream , do I
> have to buy this to perform a debug of an RTEMS app ?

No you do not have to buy this device. Some users want to get top of the
line commercial debugging tools like the DStream, and there are number
of good ones available such Lauterbach. These are all nice and there
value depends on your project and your use.

The OpenOCD, a pod and maybe an adapter is low cost.

> Do the OpenOCD handle memory caching ?

Yes. I use it all the time. There are recent changes to make it work well.

The wiki page you posted has TCL code that can read the ps7_init.tcl
file the Xilinx tools create from your design. This sets up the Zynq so
you can load your code.

Chris