Cannot Fully Execute mkimg Script

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Sun Sep 11 21:40:37 UTC 2016

Hello Spencer Deevy,

On Sunday 11 of September 2016 17:42:31 Spencer Deevy wrote:
> Hello everyone, it's Spencer again. I have successfully compiled and built
> RTEMS for my desired board (Xilinx Zedboard), but I've run into an issue
> with trying to convert the ticker.exe program to an image that U-Boot can
> load it. I am using the following script:
> I've tested it a few times and this is what I've determined thus far:
>
> - The program fails when it tries to make the flat binary
> - The error I'm getting is 'bus error (core dumped)'
>
> I've checked that the paths are all correct, and I don't think it's a
> permission issue.
> From googling around a bit it looks like it's an issue with trying to
> access memory that is unavailable...
>
> If anyone has any insight into this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Please, check to be sure that really arm-rtems4.12-objcopy line is the
one which ends by core dump. It is strange, because objcopy should
nod end with exception even for incorrect input for normal case.
Are your tools compiled against right system GLIBC?
Is not LD_LIBRARY_PATH set some strange way?

You can try check arm-rtems4.12-objcopy binary

 ldd -r arm-rtems4.12-objcopy

You can use even native x86 tools for some investigation of elf file.
So check your ticker.exe by file command first

  file ticker.exe

then try

  objdump --headers ticker.exe

if native objdump works correctly then build of your tools is suspicious.
If you see something strange in the objdump output, send it
to the list. The output should start something like

ticker.exe:     file format elf32-littlearm

Sections:
Idx Name          Size      VMA       LMA       File off  Algn
  0 .start        00000408  00104000  00104000  000000c0  2**2
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
  1 .xbarrier     00000000  00104408  00104408  0007ab8c  2**0
                  CONTENTS
  2 .text         00050490  00104410  00104410  000004d0  2**4
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, CODE
  3 .init         0000000c  001548a0  001548a0  00050960  2**2

If you have

  arm-elf-objcopy, arm-linux-gnueabihf-objcopy,
  arm-linux-gnueabi-objcopy or arm-none-eabi-objcopy

on your system then any of these can be used for conversion
of ARM elf executable to the binary.

If the cause is not found, archive your script, ticker.exe
and ticker.exe.bin if it is there and put it somewhere
accessible over http or use some pastebin or other box
and send URL. If the archive is not so huge then you can send
is as e-mail attachment.

Best wishes,

              Pavel