Posix priority vs. RTEMS priority (Sebastian Huber)

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Apr 3 17:40:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Sebastian Huber <

> On 31/03/17 20:22, Heinz Junkes wrote:
>
>> thank you for your answer. In the RTEMS Manual you can read
>> that the initialization task should run at Maximum Priority (Classic API).
>> (which sounds reasonable)
>>
>> If then the POSIX_Init should also be startet at that level -> POSIX prio
>> 254?
>>
>> Instead of the low prio “2” ?
>>

> I am not sure if this is a bug or feature, but changing this would alter
> the behaviour of all existing applications using POSIX initialization
> threads.

I don't remember the rationale for this selection either.

> You can change the priority in your initialization thread or we may add a
> new configuration option, e.g.
>
> CONFIGURE_POSIX_INIT_THREAD_PRIORITY

We didn't know that initially because it required pulling in a fair number
of POSIX
APIs to set the priority and other scheduling parameters. A priority only
makes
sense in POSIX in the context of setting a policy. Before you know it, the
confdefs.h
options needed to support more and we needed to call more APIs.

We opted for small and assumed the user would change when the thread ran
if they needed to.