What's the fate of rtems 4.12?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun Apr 16 21:57:21 UTC 2017

On Apr 16, 2017 4:44 PM, "Chris Johns" <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

On 17/4/17 4:52 am, Hassan Karim wrote:
> For a while, I've seen a lot development on the 4.11 branch.

A lot of the work has been bug fixes that happen on a release and given
the period of time it took to get 4.11 released this is expected. Also
included is work related to the release process as I improve and better
automate what needs to happen, for example the release notes, doxygen
reports, and documentation.

Chris is being understated. The 4.11 release branch was cut and there was a
conscious decision to hold off releases until the documentation was in
Sphinx. He put a lot of effort into this conversion. I did some the rsb doc
I think and a lot of review.

This gave time to work on a new release procedure based on git. Our
make sure RSB built tools and release images worked together. Plus release
candidates.

Chris did all the heavy lifting on both those activities with others
testing as much as he wanted.

This work will pay off on future releases. I expect 4.12 releases to pop
out quickly once the release criteria is met.

> Is 4.12 being deprecated?

No. Please refer to the Releases page in the wiki ..
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release.

> When I went to rebuild based on 4.12, I am no longer getting all of the
> b-sets that I was expecting. Specifically, 4.12/rtems-sparc
>
> Am I doing something wrong or have things been moved out of 4.12?

No, this looks like a bug. Please click on 'Create Bug' link in the 4.12
row of the Supported Releases table.

If you have cloned the git repo, make sure you are on the right branch for
4.12 (master), up to date, and haven't accidentally removed anything. I
have done all of those. :)

Once we figure this out, help closing 4.12 blockers is appreciated.

--joel

Thanks
Chris