dynamic linker in RTEMS 5 ?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Dec 22 20:58:17 UTC 2017

On 22/12/17 5:07 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote> At least at the moment all RTEMS
targets use ELF. I removed all non-ELF support
> in Binutils for obsolete RTEMS targets in January 2017.

Sure, but I am not sure how this relates to the discussion.

> It would be nice to have the ELF headers in RTEMS (or Newlib) also for simple
> bootloaders.

I do not understand. The libdl code understands ELF and ELF headers now [1]. It
does not keep a copy of the header in memory ready for a single call and I would
discourage us doing that.

The standard is careful to ensure the format of the images being loaded is _not_
specified and this is the correct thing for a standard to do. It allows custom
formats to exist and RAP is one which libdl supports. The fact the non-portable
call references ELF details is a shame and needs to be considered and factored
into any solution we have.

The call's struct is not standardised between Linux and FreeBSD so any dependent
code is not portable so why do ELF structs need to be present in our version?

Chris

[1] https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/libdl/include/sys/exec_elf.h