Using MPC750/MCP750, QEMUPREP, Or QEMUPPC?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 24 00:42:59 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM, DiGiorgio, Joseph <jdigiorg at ball.com>
wrote:

> I am trying to run RTEMS on QEMU using ideally the mpc750 target and as a
> secondary PReP. I have run into a few issues so far and will outline them
> below.
>

> 1) This is more of a curiosity thing than  something majorly important,
> but is the Power PC 750 target mis-labeled as “mcp750”? All the
> documentation I have come across says “MPC750” and searching for “MCP750”
> via Google pulls up mostly RTEMS documentation and one Motorola document
> that is not available, but cached by Google with headings as “MCP750”, but
> in the body text uses “MPC750”.

The MPC750 was the PowerPC CPU. The MCP750 was a CompactPCI
board from Motorola Computer Group (MCG). Long ago, the semiconductor
parts of Motorola split into On and Freescale (e.g. NXP/Qualcomm). MCG
eventually became part of Emerson.

The documentation online has withered as these transitions happened.
However, these old CompactPCI and VMEbus boards are still fairly
common at places like national science labs and NASA.

> 2) I ideally want to run the 750 target and am able to build RTEMS just
> fine, but cannot find documentation on using that particular target in
> QEMU. If anyone can point me in the right direction, the rest of the issues
> below become less important.

What's your ultimate target HW?

> 3) I decided to try the “qemu” targets for PPC. I found both “qemuppc” and
> “qemuprep” at https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/BSP and only “qemuprep” at
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/Website/Board_Support_
> Packages#PowerPCBSPs.  I was wary of “qemuprep” since it has question
> marks next to it, so I tried “qemuppc”. That built just fine, but did not
> see any documentation using “qemuppc” RTEMS in QEMU. I was going to adapt
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Simulators/QEMU/Preparation , but
> did not see a built fakerom bin file.

The rtems-testing git repo has a directory sim-scripts which has a script
for running qemuppc. I will admit to not having personally used it in a long
time but the scripts in this directory ease running various simulators by
attempting to provide a very consistent command line interface.

Also.. qemu can be fickle about a particular target working from one version
to the next. I am not sure it the RSB version has been tested against this.

Anyway.. you have been warned. It worked at one point. and can be
made to work again :)

> 4) I then tried “qemuprep” since it has documentation, but it fails
> building for “fsdosfssync01.exe” (ld returned 1 exit status) See below
> actual output
>

> So I guess has anyone had success running RTEMS in QEMU using any of the
> above PPC targets or something close enough to the above targets that I can
> get a sample working?

PowerPC psim BSP uses the PowerPC simulator in GDB. It is used for
testing fairly heavily.

I don't see the cause of the failure in this. I have built all BSPs with
all tests
for 4.12 recently and just built 4.11 for powerpc/qemuprep. I did not see
this
failure.

Was there any other hint?  Did you run out of disk space?

What exactly was the configure command

--joel