Dynamic load real-time tasks

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jun 26 15:03:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 3:34 AM, Павел Жданов <paul.alex.zhdanov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm interested in dynamic loading and have the following situation:
>
>    1. There are two files init.c and dl.c.
>    2. dl.с defines rtems_main function . This function just print some
>    string using printf fuction. It complied to dl.o but not linked against
>    standard libraries so printf symbol is unresolved.
>    3. I want to load dl.o from init.с and use rtems_main function (with
>    dl_open and so on). Final init.exe is linked against standard libraries so
>    it has printf symbol resolved.
>    4. dl.o is loaded from the dos partition.
>    5. At the moment a can load dl.o and call rtems_main only if it
>    doesn't use printf or functions from other libraries.
>
> My questions are:
>
>    1. Is this scenario possible?
>    2. How to link dl.o with init.exe to resolve printf (and may be other
>    functions that are used by rtems_main and resolved in init.exe)?
>
> The general "trick" is to figure out which common methods/symbols should
be
in the base image onto which dl.o is loaded. Chris may have other tricks but
I would start with the "--undefined" argument to ld and add symbols.

Otherwise, each dl object will end up with pieces of the C library linked
into it
and you have to manage the dependencies.

> Platfrom: i386, pc486. I tried to use rtems-ld and i386-rtems4.11-ld but
> could not resolve necessary symbols.

Beyond the libdl supporting you architecture, it shouldn't matter but good
to know.

--joel