Best way to use RTEMS in existing project

Olivier C. Larocque oclarocque at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:20:19 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I have a project using Eclipse and System Workbench for STM32 (GNU ARM
embedded toolchain) targeting a STM32F446 microcontroller. I am using
a proprietary RTOS right now and would like to swap it for RTEMS so I
can open source my work.

I went through RTEMS documentation and did some tests to familiarize
myself with RTEMS build system and how it handles BSPs.

What I need to know is what is the best way to proceed.

Do I need to use the complete RTEMS build system or I can add the core
RTEMS OS files into my project and make the Eclipse build system
manage them like I was doing with my other RTOS?

If using the complete RTEMS build system, what's the best way to tell
it how to compile my application code? Should I recreate my project
from scratch using examples-v2 like structure?

What would you suggest?

Thanks for your time