Best way to use RTEMS in existing project

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu May 18 12:07:32 UTC 2017

On May 18, 2017 5:20 AM, "Olivier C. Larocque" <oclarocque at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a project using Eclipse and System Workbench for STM32 (GNU ARM
embedded toolchain) targeting a STM32F446 microcontroller. I am using
a proprietary RTOS right now and would like to swap it for RTEMS so I
can open source my work.

I went through RTEMS documentation and did some tests to familiarize
myself with RTEMS build system and how it handles BSPs.

What I need to know is what is the best way to proceed.

Do I need to use the complete RTEMS build system or I can add the core
RTEMS OS files into my project and make the Eclipse build system
manage them like I was doing with my other RTOS?

Yes. You just need to make sure you pass the correct arguments for using
RTEMS on that BSP. It will almost always be nothing more than this sequence
of arguments. Look in the build and the make/custom file for your BSP for
details.

-B... --joel bsp_specs -brtems

Plus the CPU_CFLAGS for your BSP.

The first part adds the libraries and include path for the RTEMS install to
the GCC invocation. The second adds specific CPU model flags.

Beyond that, we don't care what you use for a build system.

If using the complete RTEMS build system, what's the best way to tell
it how to compile my application code? Should I recreate my project
from scratch using examples-v2 like structure?

What would you suggest?

Thanks for your time