Best way to use RTEMS in existing project

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri May 19 21:51:47 UTC 2017

On 19/5/17 8:20 pm, Olivier C. Larocque wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

>>> Okay, I'll read on waf to see how it works. Do people sometimes use
>>> the RTEMS build system to build their application code? I saw a
>>> tutorial to build RTEMS from Eclipse, but figured out it was for the
>>> OS and BSP development only and not for application code.
>>>
>>> Ref:ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/docs/eclipse/rtems.html

This link is better:

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/eclipse/index.html

>> Doing OS and BSP development for RTEMS with Eclipse is a good method to turn
>> mad.
>
> I usually use Eclipse as a convenient GDB frontend, but yes, that
> would probably be more for application level code.

Yes this is correct. I was using it as a way to debug the i386 PC BSP on
Windows and it worked well.

The documentation is a start and I have done building the kernel. I
provided it to be complete and to see if it could be done without
plugins which grow old and break.

>> For applications on top of RTEMS its more or less suitable.
>>
>> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Eclipse/Plugin
>
> Ok I guess this link if for reference only since you seem to be saying
> that the plug-in doesn't work anymore.

I have not looked at applications created with Eclipse. It would be good
to have something documented.

Chris