Has anyone tried to port Mono to RTEMS

xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com
Thu May 25 07:31:41 UTC 2017

Hi Russell,
I have another thing to ask you.
Have you ever done some assessment of resource occupancy? Like how much memory would Mono use, generally, and CPU and so on...

Best wishes,
xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com

From: Russell Haley
Date: 2017-05-25 08:24
To: xuelin.tian
CC: users
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried to port Mono to RTEMS
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 9:52 AM, xuelin.tian <xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com> wrote:

> Hi Russell,
> thank you for your reply. It helps a lot.
> Could you share me the link or hub of this build system, that I can try to build Mono on my rtems based on ARM?

FreeBSD uses a system called  ports that builds a piece of software
configured for FreeBSD. The system is well documented in the FreeBSD
handbook:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

The port you are looking for is:
http://www.freshports.org/lang/mono/

Effectively, if you have set up ports on your FreeBSD computer, you
can then type a simple command to build it. The command to build can
usually be found on the freshports.org page for that package[1]. In
this instance it is:

cd /usr/ports/lang/mono/ && make #--> No installation on rootfs
cd /usr/ports/lang/mono/ && make install clean

If you want to make changes to the port, I recommend using subversion
to download the ports tree because if you use the standard method, an
update to the ports tree will overwrite your changes. This method is
also documented in the handbook at
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

Now, be aware that this can also all be done from pulling the Mono
repository from GitHub.com and building it yourself on any platform
you choose.

[1] I don't know anything about cross compiling for RTEMS as a limited
amount of free time has rendered me a sideline spectator for RTEMS at
this point. Note that cross compiling for ARM can be somewhat more
involved. I can dig up some stuff if necessary.

Russ