Has anyone tried to port Mono to RTEMS

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Mon May 29 04:44:42 UTC 2017

Mono runs fine on millions of Android devices. Application level
processors and the sort (i.e. the BBB) are fine. I would think 512 MB
of memory would be a pretty safe lower limit for small applications.
However, I question using a framework with a large amount of memory
usage and an active garbage collection system on an RTOS? I just
finished reading a post where they admit in the older frameworks that
some operations can cause process delays of up to 120 milliseconds
(they were discussing the new garbage collection in 5.0 so didn't mind
admitting the poor performance). I'm just an amateur so I'd love to
hear a professional take on that.

My favoured solution now is Lua. It's very small and lightweight and
hooks neatly into C for high performance needs like monitoring inputs.
Peter MacDonald, who is known for inventing the first Linux
distribution (wikipedia SLS Linux), just created a similar type of
shell language using a flavour of JavaScript called (unsurprisingly)
JavaScript Interactive Shell (Jsish). The site is http://jsish.org/.
It uses limited type checking and comes with built in support for
websockets, sqlite and a couple of other nice tools. It also has a
lightweight debugger. Very cool.

I'll also cross link something from the Lua mailing list that may be
of interest on this list. It's a discussion of using hardware to
accelerate type checking in dynamic languages to increase performance.

https://pllab.github.io/papers/Typed-Architectures-Architectural-Support-for-Lightweight-Scripting/KIM-ET-AL_typed-architectures-architectural-support-for-lightweight-scripting_2017_ASPLOS.pdf

Sweet. And my rtems clone is finished. :D

Russ

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:31 AM, xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com