SPI on RTEMS RPi BSP (4.12)

William Busacker wbusacker at outlook.com
Mon Nov 20 06:12:47 UTC 2017

No longer an issue, but replying for future reference if anyone else has
the same problem.

As noted in the GSoC project intro
https://asuolgsoc2014.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/project-intro/ the SPI
bus for the RPi still uses the libi2c api. As far as I can tell, that
means the standard Linux Spidev interface still doesn't work, nor does
the spi01 test originally mentioned work. However, the test cases
referenced https://github.com/asuol/RTEMS_rpi_testing do work. The
instructions saying that the device driver must be placed in libchip/i2c
can be ignored, just copy the files local to init.c and change the
include reference to a local instead of compiler directory. Also, his
blogpost says that the configure.ac script must have BSP_ENABLE_SPI in
it to work, but doesn't say how to do so. In the file
rtems-git/c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/raspberrypi/configure.ac include the line
RTEMS_BSPOPTS_SET([BSP_ENABLE_SPI],[*],[1]) anywhere then re-run the
makefile in the build directory for raspberry pi. Assuming you followed
Alan Cudmore's instructions this should be build-rtems-rpi.

To some this solution may seem obvious, but for those who are just
starting out with rtems (like I am right now) hopefully this sheds some
light on the subject.