QEMU and mvme3100

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Oct 27 19:13:48 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:17 PM, Michael Davidsaver <mdavidsaver at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For awhile now I've had a side project to add emulation of the mvme3100
> board to QEMU with RTEMS as the guest.  I think I have it basically
> working* and would be interesting to know if anyone else has a use for
> it.  One of my goals is running the EPICS unittest suite (which passes).
>  It might be useful for RTEMS testing as well.

It will be useful for RTEMS.

Have you submitted the patch upstream to qemu? We like the patches in the
RSB build of tools to come from upstream sources.

Also it would be very much appreciated if you could modify the RSB Qemu
configuration to include this patch from the upstream Qemu submission.

And finally, we are trying to get RTEMS test results on as many BSPs as
possible. The RTEMS Tester is ready for real users. Testing on a simulator
moves a BSP from Tier 3 to Tier 2 and results on real hardware move it
to Tier 1.

The addition of RTEMS Tester and adoption of tiers for BSPs and ports was
a decision the core developers made to increase confidence and give us
guidance on when a BSP/port should be deprecated.

Chris Johns has posted some instructions this week on how to configured
the RTEMS Tester for your local setup. I am sure he would be very happy to
help you get it running for mvme3100 qemu and real hardware.

> Anyone interested in testing will need to build QEMU from
>
> > git clone --branch vme https://github.com/mdavidsaver/qemu.git
> and also build a stub bootloader
>
> > git clone --branch tomload https://github.com/mdavidsaver/baremetal.git
>
> Change PREFIX in Makefile as appropriate
>
> Then, to eg. run the RTEMS ticker demo
>
> > qemu-system-ppc -M mvme3100-1152 -serial stdio -no-reboot \
> > -d guest_errors,unimp \
> > -bios tomload.bin \
> > -kernel powerpc/rtems4.10/ticker.bin
>

> * I see occasional 1 sec delays in network packet tx/rx which I haven't
> tracked down yet.

We still haven't automated network testing but that's on the wish list at
least.

Thanks.

--joel