Timers in a task context

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Apr 11 16:03:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 7:20 AM, Matthew J Fletcher <amimjf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> It would be good to know if rtems_task_self() is expected to return the
> 'TIME' a.k.a rtems_timer_initiate_server() task id, when a timer created
> with rtems_timer_server_fire_after() fires.

Yes. The timer server is just a task which runs at a special high priority.

> If it is then i will have to make up some work around, as quite a bit of
> code thats coming over from ThreadX depends on, it returning the previous
> 'user' task, not the previous 'system' task.
>
> Personally it does feel wrong that the behavior of  rtems_task_self()
> changes behavior depending if you use the timer server or not.

The ID returned for an ISR based timer function is random. It is the ID of
the thread running when the clock interrupt occurred. It could be the ID of
any thread but assuming your system goes idle, it is more likely to be IDLE
than anything else.

If you want a specific timer instance to send to a specific MQ, then use
the void * argument to pass in information which guides the timer instance.

The timer examples in examples-v2/led pass in the id of the timer instance
to have two timer instances use the same timer service routine.

You could do something similar. Pass in a MQ id or the pointer to a
structure with the required information.

--joel