GSOC'18 project description

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Apr 30 10:05:28 UTC 2018

Hello Vidushi,

On 30/04/18 09:15, Vidushi Vashishth wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am Vidushi Vashishth, and I have been selected for the Google Summer
> of Code'18 program. I look forward to a productive and enriching
> summer with the RTEMS community.

I am looking forward to get some new insights into a network stack
performance issue with 10Gbit/s Ethernet on a QorIQ T4240 with your
tracing support.

> I will be working on enhancement of the tracing system of RTEMS, under
> the guidance of mentors: Gedare Bloom, Chris Johns and Sebastian
> Huber. The main objectives of my project are threefold:
>
> 1) Combine the Common Trace Format with the functionality of the Trace
> Linker. I will be working with barectf and rtems-tld in this regard.
> 2) Coming up with a synchronisation and transport mechanism to send
> trace records to the host machine.
> 3) Investigate the importance of live tracing functionality and
> addition of kernel level tracing. I will design both possibilities and
> decide which one to work on by the end of phase 1 of my evaluation.

I work currently on a new low level infrastructure to support gathering
of thread (create, delete, terminate, switch) and interrupt (entry,
exit) events. Similar to the capture engine, but with less overhead. I
would like to be able to gather at least 200000 events per second per
processor (24 on the QorIQ T4240). This results in about 80MiB/s of data
so that I can transfer it easily via a 1Gbit/s Ethernet interface.

I don't know how to setup the CTF infrastructure to display this data. I
hope that you can help me here.

> The wiki page for my project is:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2018/EnhancementRuntimeTracing
>
> I will be documenting the progress of my project on my blog:
> https://vidushivashishth.github.io/
>
> Both of these sources are empty right now but will be modified with
> relevant information over the course of this summer.

I would prefer to use the ticket system as much as possible for this
project.

The main audience for the runtime tracing are the RTEMS users. A key
issue is to provide adequate documentation so that it is easy to use. If
you need this tracing then you probably have a nasty application issue
and no time to struggle with setting up things with a project deadline
looming. Where should this documentation go? A new chapter in the User
Manual

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/index.html

?

--