How to reduce the RTEMS BSP build time

Amarnath MB amarnath.mb at mistralsolutions.com
Fri Dec 7 06:36:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am a noob to RTEMS. Currently working on developing an RTEMS 4.11 BSP for
a new SOC based on ARM926EJS.
I have taken lpc32xx_mzx as the reference BSP and I was able to
successfully build the BSP in Ubuntu 16.04 using the steps in
RTEMS user manual.
Below is the time taken for completing each step in BSP building:
1. bootstrapping takes 20 mins,
2. configuring takes 3 mins
3. make takes 18 mins
4. install takes 4 mins

When I give a make after adding some changes in the start.S file, the
changes are not reflected in the hello.exe sample.
I need to give a clean and then a make to have the changes reflect in the
hello.exe, as a result, each make takes 18 mins
which is very huge compared to other builds like u-boot.

Is there a way that I can reduce this build time?
Thanks in advance for all your support.

*Thank you & Regards,*
*Amarnath M B *