MIDAS rtems Port

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Jul 25 14:54:41 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 1:05 AM, Lee Pool <lcpool at tlabs.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi, Konstantin,
>
> I've noted your request...
>
> Should be easy to get going, if I can find little bit of time
> this week.
>
> On 21/07/2018 02:51, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>

>> Hi, there - on my side, I got MIDAS to (partially) run on ucLinux
>> (mmu-less embedded ARM CPU),
>> and I think it would be good to include the RTEMS port at least partially
>> in the midas distribution. (I do not have any RTEMS hardware or
>> cross-compiler,
>> so cannot maintain the port...).
>>

> RTEMS "hardware" at the moment is a very long list, :)
>
> See here: https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/Website/Board_Support_Packages
>
> I've had success with EPICS and rtems, which is mostly what they do at
> SLAC from what I recall, might be different now.
>
> You could cross compile for a simple intel cpu, etc. and run tests via
> qemu. As mentioned for us, it was to run our vme sbc with a simple real
> time OS, doing very basic BLT read out for the K600 facility.
>
> Would it be possible for you to bring your RTEMS port up to date with the
>> current
>> midas distribution (delevop git branch)?
>>

> Sure.
>
> If not, not all is lost, I could do a diff between your midas and our midas
>> of the same vintage and identify your most crucial changes.
>>

> The changes are minimal, and mostly follows the vxworks implementation
> by means of POSIX RTEMS API.
>
> To get a frontend going is a little bit more tricky, in that it uses
> the rtems libbsd for the network stack, and other peripherals that
> you might like in a rtems bsp, like serial out, vga/screen out over serial
> link, BSD network stack, etc.
>
> See here: https://github.com/RTEMS/rtems-libbsd/blob/master/libbsd.txt

This can work on qemu as well. I would recommend the arm zynq BSP variant
for
qemu. That should be the easiest way to test and it would work without
dedicated
HW for RTEMS. Just a simulator on Linux talking to whatever MIDAS has on
the Linux host.

Feel to ask questions on our mailing list. But you have to be subscribed
for the message to go through.

And asking there for advice on setting up qemu/zynq with network is a good
thing for the list. I am sure someone is better than I am at helping you on
that specific topic.

--joel