rtems watchdogs

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue May 29 22:54:21 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Matthew J Fletcher <amimjf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an integrated watchdog in rtems ?, i noticed that rtems seems to
> implement an internal task/timer based watchdog, thats used by POSIX and
> classic timers. The spwatchdog test seems to provide a good example of its
> usage.
>
> There are many BSPs that use a hardware watchdog, but no rtems code would
> kick it (unless there is some hook i have not seen),. so it would have to
> be set reasonably slowly 1second+ (??) so ensure no OS code false triggers.

There is a bit of framework to support a HW watchdog. It was intended to
install
a driver with an initialization entry along with an ioctl to stop, start,
and tickle it.

Looking today, I don't see any users of this in the tree anymore The Leon3
has
some methods to manage its watchdog.

I am certainly up for proposals on updating/replacing this interface since
it
wouldn't impact much in the tree and wouldn't take much to hook to the
Leon3.

-joel