KhalifaSat Launched!

Mohammed Saeed Khoory Mohammed.Khoory at mbrsc.ae
Wed Oct 31 06:00:01 UTC 2018

Dear RTEMS community,

I would like to announce, with great pleasure, that we at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre in Dubai, UAE, have finally and successfully launched our first in-house designed and developed satellite: KhalifaSat. This is a 300kg remote sensing satellite with 0.7m GSD and the ability to sense RGB and NIR. We are running RTEMS 4.10.2 on a SPARC LEON3-FT processor. We are also using the RTL code that was intended for 4.11, but we backported it to 4.10.2, and this is used to load/unload and run tasks during run-time without needing to reboot the system. Everything is working nicely and stable so far.

I still remember the day, back in 2013, where we were absolutely new to RTEMS, and reading the C User's Manual for the first time, trying to figure things out. We would have not made it if it wasn't for the immense help of this community. I would like to thank Chris Johns (especially), Joel Shirrel and everyone in the community for helping us achieve this goal!

Here's a video of us concluding our first pass:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpgs_ARnSHk/

We are looking forward to using RTEMS in our future missions!
---
Mohammed Saeed Khoory