anybody used docker image for build tools?

Jonathan Phelps Jonathan.Phelps at onsemi.com
Thu Jul 18 16:25:21 UTC 2019

I’m learning RTEMS for an ARM ASIC and interested in automation to assist with bringing up the software development environment.  I'm more on the hardware side, so I’m not real familiar with Eclipse itself and a little overwhelmed with the variety of options in different versions/areas of the documentation (like do I still need the rtems eclipse plugin? Are you switching to waf for all build or just libbsd?).  Anyways, I was curious if there was ever any thought or reasons against using a docker image for the build tools, in particular keeping debug capabilities within IDE.  Ultimately, I’m looking for easiest path on Windows 10 (and native Linux), but Mingw takes a long time (18+ hours) building rsb.

>From a Dockerfile I can build a reusable image in about 2.5 hours and have the Eclipse plugin for docker trying to compile from inside the image, but missing some other setup, probably auto conf stuff.  Are there any other considerations I'm overlooking trying to proceed with this approach?

Thanks.

-Jonathan