GSoC Small Projects

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Mar 20 15:10:53 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:58 AM Christian Mauderer
<christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Am 19.03.19 um 14:54 schrieb Omar Shafik:
> > Hello,
> > I am interested in Contributing to RTEMS project, specifically adding
> > example uses to the User's Guide for the Classic API (small projects
> > section).
> > I have completed the Hello World proof, read many materials on RTEMS
> > website and made myself somewhat familiar with RTEMS environment.
> > I have begun writing my proposal and it would be helpful if anyone
> > could give me advice or hints related to the project I have chosen or
> > RTEMS in general.
>
> Hello Omar,
>
> please send the Hello World proof to Joel, Gedare or (I think) Chris.

Yes, email directly to me, joel at rtems.org, and chrisj at rtems.org both
the patch and screenshot

> Regarding Projects: Normally you should have a look at the Open Projects
> page and the SoC tickets in Track. You then reach out to the (devel)
> mailing list with your ideas and selected tickets to start discussing
> whether someone would be interested to mentor that project.
> Alternatively you can also suggest your own projects.

Yep. We're glad to have students suggest projects, but then an
interested mentor also needs to be matched.

> Note that the "Small Projects" page most likely contains projects that
> are too small for a GSoC project. GSoC projects should be - according to
> Google - 30+ hours per week. See
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq.

I responded already about this particular project idea on devel@, but
the general guidance on project scope is also important to keep in
mind for sure.

Gedare