[altcycv_devkit] Access to FPGA Fabric via HPS2FPGA Bridge

Christian Spindeldreier spindeldreier at ims.uni-hannover.de
Fri Mar 29 11:57:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

currently we experimenting with the RTEMS-5 on a Cylcone V SoC-FPGA
using the altcycv_devkit BSP. Now we are trying to access a simple
hardware module connected to the HPS2FPGA Bridge via an AXI
interconnect. Our approach of simply write data to the corresponding
address or using the 'alt_write_word()' function which basically does
the same, results in a system crash, so i guess we are missing something.

*((volatile uint32_t *) 0xC0000000) = (uint32_t) 1UL;
alt_write_word(0xC0000000, 0x01);

I have noticed, that the FPGA bridge memory regions are made accessible
using 'alt_addr_space_remap()' in 'bsp_start_hook_1()' which is called
by start.S, but i am missing the activation of the fpga bridges using
'alt_bridge_init()' which is part of the 'alt_bridge_manager' located in
the '/ip/altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib/include/soc_cv_av/' directory of a
current  SoC-EDS installation. The bridges are be enabled by the u-boot
command 'bridge enable' prior to rtems booting anyway, so there must be
another issue.

Accessing the same hardware module using a simple linux platform device
driver with linux 4.14 works fine, so the issue has to be related to
RTEMS. Next to this i have another minor issue, when trying to pause
RTEMS using scanf() to have time to connect the debugger, always reads
the string "A0" without waiting for any input, so is there anything
special to configure for scanf() when printf() is working?

Best regards,

Christian

--
Dipl.-Ing. Christian Spindeldreier