RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_EXCEPTION in RTEMS

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Thu May 2 10:05:22 UTC 2019

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> Von: "Amarnath MB" <amarnath.mb at mistralsolutions.com>

Hello Amarnath,

good. Than you have at least a hint toward the problem. I wouldn't see it as the solution. Like already discussed, depending on your application, this can lead to missed interrupts. If you have a very specific case for writing the flash that isn't during your normal operation (for example firmware updates) you are most likely fine with that solution. But if you write for example log files, you might get a quite unpredictable behavior later.

> Flash controller is implemented using the AHB to external SRAM interface in
> the Cortex-M System Design Kit and there are no pins shared between RAM and
> NOR Flash.  We can't doubt that flash is blocking bus accesses for the RAM,
> because the test executes fine in the uboot running from RAM.

So it's a custom FPGA based design? Most likely your RAM and Flash controller are both connected to the same system bus (AHB in that case). I don't know the modules you mentioned but you might want to take a look at the documentation whether they lock the AHB or not.

U-Boot most likely doesn't use interrupts. I assume you are waiting for a flash operation to be finished in some busy wait loop there (polling a flag or similar). That loop can be fully put into the processor cache (if you have one which is quite likely). So in your U-Boot test case, the external RAM most likely isn't accessed during the flash operations. If you have a problem with conflicting bus accesses you maybe only see them there if you disable all caches.

In RTEMS on the other hand you are running with enabled interrupts and task switches. So RAM access are more or less guaranteed during a longer flash operation if you don't lock the interrupts.

> You had mentioned there are a lot of possible reasons for a
> RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_EXCEPTION, is it somewhere documented what all reasons
> can cause this exception. Any references would be very much helpful.

Basically for an ARM system, you have that source:

cpukit/score/cpu/arm/arm-exception-default.c:24:  rtems_fatal( RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_EXCEPTION, (rtems_fatal_code) frame );

That is default handler for all exceptions where no extra handler is installed. So basically every exception that is listed in the ARM manual can be the source.

> Thank you once again for your prompt response, it really saved lot of our
> time.
>
> Below is the exception frame we got,
> FYI, 0x0 - 0x007FFFFF is NOR Flash and 0x40000000 to 0x7FFFFFFF the RAM.

Yust a note: Putting memory at 0 might hides some NULL-pointer accesses. If you can do that in your design you might want to think about putting some boot ROM there that isn't accessible by the application (for example locked via MPU).

Of course there can be worse types of memory Flash (which should be mostly a read only memory). I had a controller with some RAM there once. Finding NULL-pointer accesses on such a system is really nasty.

> *** FATAL ***
> fatal source: 9 (RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_EXCEPTION)
>
> R0   = 0x00000040 R8  = 0x00100000
> R1   = 0x00080000 R9  = 0x00000001
> R2   = 0x00000048 R10 = 0x4010a3e8
> R3   = 0x00000048 R11 = 0x4011737c
> R4   = 0x00000a00 R12 = 0x00000000
> R5   = 0x00000500 SP  = 0x40100c40
> R6   = 0x00000055 LR  = 0x4000a36c
> R7   = 0x000000aa PC  = 0x003fde80
> CPSR = 0x200000d2 VEC = 0x00000001
> RTEMS version: 5.0.0.
> RTEMS tools: 7.4.0 20181206 (RTEMS 5, RSB
> 40ae056f12e1cbe530f76a3ebd1e2ac745a888ef, Newlib
> dc6e94551f09d3a983afd571478d63a09d6f66fa)
> executing thread ID: 0x08a010002
> executing thread name: Alpi

Your program counter (PC) points to a Flash address here. Are you sure that your application runs entirely from RAM?

Best regards

Christian

> *Thank you & Regards,*
> *Amarnath MB*
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 12:49 AM Christian Mauderer <
> christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

embedded brains GmbH
Christian Mauderer
Dornierstr. 4