using docker to deliver qualification tools

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie
Fri Nov 1 17:49:19 UTC 2019

Hi Joel,

thanks for your prompt reply and definitive answer. It helps to have clear
boundaries regarding what is feasible or not.

It's taken me a while to get back - I understand that you, Chris and Sebastian discussed this,
and I recently had a good phone call with Sebastian where we discussed this issue.

First, reproducible is good - I quite agree.
Docker/Ansible(*) can help here but I quite understand why it has to be a third-party thing,
rather than part of RTEMS proper.

From the perspective of using formal verification tools, there are two broad approaches we could take:

The first approach is to use formal models (of requirements and/or specifications) in a behind the scenes way
to produce tests. These tests would be deployed to RTEMS just like any other tests from other
sources, and would be amenable to code review.

The models and any tools use to produce these test would not be part of RTEMS proper,
but we would make them freely available for those who are interested.

This is the least intrusive way to reap the benefits of formal modelling of RTEMS requirements.

The second approach is when we want to use a formal tool to analyse RTEMS code,
ideally as part of a standard CI/regression testing process.
This would require us to ensure that such tools had a "reasonably sized" footprint.
One possible candidate for this, Frama-C, seems a bit large, but we may be able to produce
a stripped-down command-line version with a smaller footprint.

Another  issue that was raised is the use of source-code annotations to assist some tools.
It is clear that this will only make sense in the long-term if there is a plan to ensure
long-term maintenance of these, or else "logic-rot" will set in. I intend to stay around
as part of the RTEMS community after this project is over to watch over things, but I
think we'd all prefer if we could build a group of formal enthusiasts willing to help.

Currently we feel we should start with approach 1 - see how far this can go.
Approach 2 requires us to do some thinking and work.
Annotation should be deferred until we can have a convincing long-term maintenance plan.

Hope this helps,

 Best regards, Andrew

(*) thanks, Stanislav!