Rational R1000-400 and RTEMS?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Nov 6 21:26:52 UTC 2019

On 7/11/19 1:23 am, Per Dalgas Jakobsen wrote:
> Last week we succeeded starting up an R1000-400 and have a working environment
> on a FACIT A-4600 monitor.

Oh my that is amazing. I have not seen one of those since the early '90s. I
worked on the hardware side of a project written in Ada developed on one of
those boxes. The FACIT terminals are nice, I ended up with one for many years
after the Ada box was switched off.

> It just occurred to me that RTEMS might have been a target for cross-compilation
> from the Rational R1000-400 back in the '80-90s.

I remember Rational provided their own run-time. The target hardware we had was
a DY4 68020 processor with hardware floating point.

> The R1000-400 is a machine intended for team development and maintenance of
> large Ada systems:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_R1000
> https://datamuseum.dk/wiki/Rational/R1000s400
>
> A log of our efforts to get it running, with some picture can be found here:
> https://datamuseum.dk/wiki/Rational/R1000s400/Logbook
>
> If there is anyone here that may have some history, stories or knowledge related
> to the R1000-400, we would be very interested to hear about it. Especially if it
> involves RTEMS of course :)

I did not use the Rational box but I remember somethings. The run-time parts I
saw had a tick and basic tasking and I think an interrupt pragma but I seem to
remember the software had a lot of sleeps and polls.

All best with project.

Chris