Can someone recommend a Quick Start that "just works"?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 18:44:05 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 2:49 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 10:43 PM Niteesh <gsnb.gn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hii charles,
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Nov, 2019, 7:37 AM Charles Manning, <cdhmanning at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am starting out with RTEMS and want to get through the first steps
>>> from zero to running a hello world application on a simulator, qemu etc.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately
>>> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/start/index.html ends up
>>> failing the BSP test in 2.7
>>>
>> The tests fail because the target sim was removed from gdb to a
>> standalone application, so you have to use erc32-sis instead of erc32, this
>> will use the new sis instead of gdb sis.
>>
>>> and in a TODO at step 2.8 leaves me hanging for more...
>>>
>> I am not really sure about this, but the way how the did it was, to
>> modify the hello world program in the source and make in your bsp directory.
>> To run the program use the sparc-rtems5-sis or run with the file name.
>>

> It's in my TODO list. It takes time to sweep through everywhere on
> volunteer time. The use of sis in gdb has been the same for erc32 since
> ~1994 so there may be some lingering references even after hitting the
> obvious ones.
>
> This is a simple script to run one erc32 exe.
>
> ======================
> #! /bin/bash
>
> sparc-rtems5-sis -leon3 -nouartrx -r -tlim 200 s -m 4 $*
> ================
>
> For use with gdb, add "-gdb" as an argument to sis. Run sis in one
> terminal and "sparc-rtems5-gdb EXE" in another.
>
> (gdb) target remote :1234
> (gdb) load
> (gdb) continue
>
> You can abbreviate most of those commands.
>
> Once this works for you, please take a shot at fixing the Users Guide and
> wiki Hello World page. It would be nice to have some screen shots showing a
> run and a gdb session. The wiki page should really reference the Users
> Guide for most of the details. Nothing should be duplicated. Unfortunately,
> it is.
>
> I have been noting that this change occurred in June 2019 so any RTEMS
> release or tool version before that date uses the old procedure and after
> that date uses the new one.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> --joel

Thank you everyone

I do understand the issue with getting everything done by volunteers having
been part of OSS for 20 years or so.

Two things that would make it easier to get going would be:
1) adding the erc32-sis patch to
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/start/bsp-test.html
2) Fleshing out https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/start/app.html
with a brief compile and run example.

Thank you again, I very much appreciate the help.

Regards

Charles