Help request for potentially new host dependencies

Jonathan Brandmeyer jbrandmeyer at planetiq.com
Tue Oct 8 02:04:23 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 12:32 AM Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need your help to figure out if some host tools which I would like to
> use for the RTEMS BSP build and development are widely supported on the
> host platforms of all RTEMS users.
>
> The current build system is based on Autoconf and Automake. I would like
> to replace it with a Python based build system (waf) which is aimed to
> be faster and easier to maintain.

Do you need to do anything special to get waf to use all of the build
machine's resources?  Waf was only capable of keeping about ~30% of a
16-core/32-thread workstation's resources busy during the rtems-libbsd
build at any time, even during the embarrassingly parallel stages of
the build.

> ... On a
> Linux distribution they should be available via the package manager. You
> can install them via pip, e.g.
>
> pip install pyyaml
> pip install ruamel.yaml

If you have a stack of python dependencies to manage, consider using
pipenv instead of pip.  Pipenv combines pip with virtualenv in such a
way that different Python dependency sets don't conflict with each
other on the user's system.  In particular, the python virtualenv that
I need to build and test RTEMS will be completely independent of the
virtualenv that I need for my own project's dependencies.

Sincerely,
--
Jonathan Brandmeyer