Help request for potentially new host dependencies

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Oct 7 06:32:28 UTC 2019

Hello,

I need your help to figure out if some host tools which I would like to
use for the RTEMS BSP build and development are widely supported on the
host platforms of all RTEMS users.

The current build system is based on Autoconf and Automake. I would like
to replace it with a Python based build system (waf) which is aimed to
be faster and easier to maintain. It would simplify things if the build
tool could read configuration files in YAML format. The files in this
format are produced and maintained by Doorstop. This is a Python 3 based
tool to manage requirements and specification items (e.g. the build
specification).

Unfortunately, the Python standard library has not support for reading
YAML files.

I would be great if you could check if there are any problems with
installing the PyYAML or ruamel.yaml (you only need one of them). On a
Linux distribution they should be available via the package manager. You
can install them via pip, e.g.

pip install pyyaml
pip install ruamel.yaml

These packages should be available for Python 2 and 3.

In case installing these packages turns out to be an issue, then another
option is to add a JSON load/save feature to Doorstop.

Please try to install the packages and run the attached test script. It
should output:

	{'hello': 'world!'}
	{'hello': 'world!'}
	{u'hello': u'world!'}

For RTEMS development (maintaining BSPs, adding BSPs, adding API
functions, new features, etc.) it may be necessary to use Doorstop in
the future. Please check if this is easy to install on your host
platform as well. You can install it with:

pip3 install doorstop

Afterwards, a run of "doorstop --version" should output:

	Doorstop v1.6

Thanks for your help.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH