installing Doorstop on macOS (for RTEMS use)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Oct 16 02:47:07 UTC 2019

On 16/10/19 8:51 am, Peter Dufault wrote:
>> On Oct 14, 2019, at 13:49 , Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/10/19 5:23 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> Hello Chris,
>>>
>>> I know that you don't like homebrew based solutions on macOS.
>>
>> I do not mind homebrew or macports however for RTEMS is not practical to support
>> them.
>
> I'm a MacOS user and lapsed *BSD committer.  The majority of MacOS users working with RTEMS will have a VM that they will use for RTEMS development.

I do not use a VM on MacOS and much prefer to develop and run my RTEMS
development as a native environment. I am currently traveling with a Mac laptop
and working on things natively without the need to start, stop and have a
resource hungry VM spinning away all the time. My battery life is reasonably
good and the laptop is nice and responsive.

I think maintaining a VM for me on a Mac is more work than maintaining RTEMS on
MacOS for the project :)

> The homebrew and macports solutions to obtain compatible packages only complicate the issue.  How many Mac users who are working on RTEMS can't work in a VM running CentOS, and how many don't have a machine that allows that?  Let me know if I'm wrong.

I do not know if are wrong and what you suggest is a reasonable and valid way
for some users to work with RTEMS but I do not think having it as the
recommended option is where we should head. I for one would not want to keep
such a VM around to test and make sure.
> This is different from e.g. mingw support, where I think the tools need to work as plug-ins.

I know of at least one person who runs CentOS in a VM on Windows as their
development environment. I think their VM disk image corrupted recently, I hope
they had a back up one of the environments or both or something.

I am sure we can resolve the issue of Python3 on MacOS. There are solutions, we
just need to review the options and select the one that best suites our needs.

Chris