installing Doorstop on macOS (for RTEMS use)

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 24 10:52:43 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

  I got around to doing a doorstop install that does not rely on homebrew,
using the python.org <http://python.org/> distribution for 3.8

Everything worked fine - python3 is installed in /Library just like the OS X native python 2.7
Doorstop runs just fine too.

Regards, Andrew

> On 14 Oct 2019, at 18:49, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/10/19 5:23 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello Chris,
>>
>> I know that you don't like homebrew based solutions on macOS.
>
> I do not mind homebrew or macports however for RTEMS is not practical to support
> them.
>
>> The reasons for this are understandable.
>
> Thanks
>
>> This is why I suggested to use the installer from python.org:
>>
>> https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/users/2019-October/067192.html
>>
>> There are Python 3 installers available for macOS from python.org:
>>
>> https://www.python.org/downloads/mac-osx/
>
> For developers or users making changes to RTEMS this is fine.
>
>> According to the pip project site it is already installed for Python 2 >=2.7.9
>> or Python 3 >=3.4:
>>
>> https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/
>>
>> For example to install Python 3.7.4 on macOS you can use:
>>
>> https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.4/python-3.7.4-macosx10.9.pkg
>>
>> I don't have a Mac and cannot test this.
>>
>> The Python 2.7 end of life is in 2 months and 20 days (January 1, 2020). The
>> first Python 3 release was in 2008. Are there plans from Apple to update their
>> Python support in Xcode to a state of the art version?
>
> I do not know what Apples has planed. I suppose at some point they will have too.
>
>> Using the doorstop tool
>> is not absolutely necessary right now. The file format is so easy, you can do
>> almost everything with a text editor by hand (and scripts). What you cannot
>> easily do is the calculation of the fingerprint, however, this can be done by
>> the one who commits a patch. So, in case a Python 3 support with pipenv is on
>> the Apple roadmap for the next year, this would make this easier.
>
> This sounds reasonable.
>
> Chris

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero at TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                         http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/