Getting version of rtems, and writing files

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Oct 17 06:07:41 UTC 2019

On 17/10/19 4:20 am, Shane Thomas wrote:
> I had a question, I inherited a system that uses rtems

Welcome.

> and I am not sure how to
> edit files on that system.   There is no vim or vi.  I telnet into them and then
> get a message right away that says:
>
> cexp.help() for help (which does't work) but help() does show some commands like
> cat, pwd, home, mod = ld("filename")

The cexp shell is a 3rd party shell package that is not formally part of RTEMS.
A lot of people use it however I do not and do not know anything about it. Sorry.

> etc...
> but nothing that would let me edit files that are on that system.  Also no
> ftp/sftp to let me edit locally and then move them to that system.   I am not
> sure the version of rtems this is running even (not sure how to get that).
>
> Signed up to this mailing list just to ask this question, not sure what
> else/where else to look.

I use the shell RTEMS provides in the cpukit/libmisc/shell directory and we have
documented, see docs.rtems.org and click on the shell documents.

To transfer files on to and off boards I set up a machine in the lab as an NFS
server and then mount it in RTEMS using the mount command:

 $ cd /
 $ mkdir net
 $ mount -t nfs foo:/bar /net

If I need to edit text files on a target I add the `edit` shell command. It is
OK at performing small editing tasks on the target. Saving, exiting etc are
mapped to function keys.

I hope this helps.

Chris