rtems-test with serial device and run.cfg

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Apr 8 00:56:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-07 23:37, Jan.Sommer at dlr.de wrote:
> I have trouble figuring out how to run rtems-test with a custom command where the output is captured through a serial console.

Does this help ...

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/testing/consoles.html

?

> In my ini-file I used
>
> bsp_tty_dev        = /dev/ttyUSB2
> tester                   = %{_rtscripts}/run.cfg
> bsp_run_cmd        = i386-run
> target_off_command = i386-stop
>
> We have a custom command which prepares the target device.
> The device is connected to the development machine (running Linux) via a serial connection.

Great. I suggest you run `set2net` as documented and have it convert the
tty to TCP.

> Now, the above did not work, since the run.cfg ignores the "bsp_tty_dev" setting and always assumes results via stdout.
> When I change that, rtems-test tries to open the /dev/ttyUSB2 device, but fails to do so with:
> error: opening tty dev: /dev/ttyUSB2: unknown
>
> Which seems to be caused by this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "stty.py", line 77, in __init__
>      self.fd = open(dev, 'rw')
> ValueError: must have exactly one of create/read/write/append mode
>
> I am not that familiar with the rtems-test internals. Do I need a different kind of configuration?
> How do others use the "bsp_tty_dev" option (e.g. in the tftp tester)?

The issue with direct tty access and the need to port PySerial to
rtems-test via the rtemstoolkit. The requirements of the rtems-tools
repo make depending on external packages for specific functionality
problematic.

Adding PySerial is a welcome addition to the toolkit but I have not had
the time to complete this task as `ser2net` has been a suitable and
stable alternative. I use ser2net for PC testing from it's serial port.

I hope this helps.

Chris