Multi-networking Interface support?

Christian Mauderer oss at c-mauderer.de
Sat Apr 18 19:49:33 UTC 2020

Hello HungLE,

On 17/04/2020 18:44, Hung LE-Dinh wrote:
> /Dear,
>
> Can RTEMS support multi-networking interface?
>
> I have a zynq-7000 board with 2 ethernet port, and I want to build a
> simple router on it using RTEMS. Can I do that?

Yes you can do that if you use libbsd (I think that should be the right
network stack for Zynq). Just configure your interfaces and use

    sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

like you would on FreeBSD. Don't forget to set up your routes correctly
on all systems on both sides of the router.

In theory you should be able to to quite a lot of stuff with pf too
(like NAT). Take a look at the testsuite/pf* files in libbsd to see how
to set up pf in RTEMS and at the FreeBSD handbook to find out how to
write pf rules:

    https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/firewalls-pf.html

Note that RTEMS isn't designed to be a highly secure system. If you want
to create a router that is connected directly to the internet you might
should think thoroughly whether it's the right choice.

Best regards

Christian