Corrupted test marker with u-boot and zynq

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun Aug 16 14:48:06 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 5:22 AM <Jan.Sommer at dlr.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to create a setup to run the rtems testsuite on a Xilinx Zynq device
> with u-boot.
> I built everything with the 5.0.0-m2006-2 pre-release.
> It now works in general, but quite a number of tests have a corrupted
> begin test marker (see below).
> This way, rtems-test does not recognize the test and counts it as timeout.
> The value of wrong characters is the same for multiple runs of the same
> test, but is different for different tests (or not present at all).

Some setups have trouble getting all the characters from the loader out
before the body of the ioctl support code in the console driver runs. This
has been discussed a couple of times with no generally accepted resolution.
The best bet may be waiting for the TX buffer to go empty in the console
ioctl code. We tried disabling the ioctl support code and flushing at boot
but I don't recall flushing in the ioctl support in the driver which would
be more acceptable.

> If I execute the elf file via JTAG, everything works fine.
> Has someone encountered such behavior before?
> Looks like the something is going wrong during the handover from u-boot to
> rtems

Exactly. It is fast enough where reprogramming the uart seems to cause
issues with outstanding and early IO.