rsb and toolchain debug symbols

Michael Davidsaver mdavidsaver at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:39:09 UTC 2020

Is there a way to ask RSB to either build the toolchain
(ie. gcc itself) without debug symbols, or to strip them
prior to install?

https://github.com/mdavidsaver/rsb/releases/

I keep a set of pre-built RTEMS pc*86 toolchains for use
by CI builders, principally travis-ci.org.  In looking
at adding RTEMS 5.1 to this I noticed that the resulting
compressed tar was considerably larger that previously.
4.9 or 4.10 for pc386 are ~100MB, while 5.1 for pc686
is weighing in at 380MB.

Looking into it, most of this size seems to be in debug
symbols.  eg. "libexec/gcc/i386-rtems5/7.5.0/cc1plus"
is (uncompressed) 166MB with debug symbols and 26MB without.

Also, I installed the following packages to a clean
ubuntu 18.04.5 image in order to build.  This release
doesn't install /usr/bin/python by default (just 'python3').
The GDB build seems to handle this just fine, but the
rtems-tools build errors when it can't run 'python'.

bison
flex
texinfo
unzip