Newbie question: Building Apps

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jan 29 01:01:49 UTC 2020

On 29/1/20 11:25 am, Charles Manning wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I need to get going with RTEMS, so I thought I'd follow the quickstart guild.
>
> All good until I got to the bit where I wanted to build an app.
>
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/start/app.html: TODO

Yes, this section needs some effort and no one has stepped up to add it.

> I have the following in the PATH:
>
> /home/charles/quick-start/rtems/5/bin:
>
> So I fetched the examples-v2 from git and tried make.

Do you mean rtems-examples? The repo was renamed last year.

> s-v2$ make
> Makefile:1: /Makefile.inc: No such file or directory
> Makefile:3: /make/directory.cfg: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target '/make/directory.cfg'.  Stop.
>
> A quick sniff in the Makefile indicates that there are at least 3 RTEMS_xxx
> paths that need to be set.

This uses the Makefile.inc support which I do not know much about.

> Is there a script I need to run to set those up?

The examples also use waf. The waf README provides some help ..

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-examples/tree/README.waf

The RTEMS waf support uses the rtems_waf.git repo and this lets you build an
application for your BSP.

Chris