Newbie question: Building Apps

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jan 29 22:59:36 UTC 2020

On 30/1/20 4:51 am, Jonathan Brandmeyer wrote:
> RTEMS BSPs place a bunch of pkg-config files under $prefix/lib/pkgconfig which
> are named after the various BSPs.  I've just been using those to pick out the
> correct CFLAGS for my application.

A warning, the generation of these files in the current RTEMS build system is
broken and cannot be fixed. Some BSPs work OK and others do not.

The flags in the RTEMS source are held in makefile fragments and over the years
macros and other things got added to some bsps that are used to the create the
flags that appear in the .pc files. Nothing is consistent and so cannot be
easily extracted and placed in a .pc file.

Another issue is all the flags used to build RTEMS are exposed and this causes
problems with some 3rd party and application code.

This should be fixed in the new RTEMS kernel waf build system Sebastian has been
working on.

Chris