Offtop: ada programming

Per Dalgas Jakobsen pdj at knaldgas.dk
Wed Jun 24 16:47:04 UTC 2020

Hi,

I've been using Assembler, C, C++, C#, Pascal, Delphi, etc. but never
found a language so pleasant to use on larger projects than Ada - A
shame that it's knowledge is not more widespread. Maintaining a +30 year
old code base of +1MSLOC written in Ada turned out *not* to be a
nightmare :-) - On the contrary, implementing Web Services (SOAP and
REST) and Web Clients into this old code base was actually quite easy.
The old saying/joke: "If it compiles it works" is *almost* right.

Together with two friends I programmed an autonomous robot in Ada for a
competition - I actually considered RTEMS for the job, but were too
lazy, so we used Linux for this one, perhaps next year should be with RTEMS?

If you are interested there is a video of its final run (Danish
speaking, sorry):
http://knaldgas.dk/~pdj/robocup/DTU_RoboCup_Roadrunner_Finale_2019.mp4

Anyhow, books, guidance, etc.:

  * Book: "Programming in Ada 2012" by John Barnes, ISBN 978-1-107-42481-4
  * IRC: #Ada
  * Google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.ada

See you out there :-)

~Per