Interested in contributing to Beaglebone BSP

James Fitzsimons james.fitzsimons at gmail.com
Mon May 4 10:26:48 UTC 2020

Hi Christian and Vijay,

Firstly thank you so much for your replies they were extremely helpful and
much appreciated.

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 02:50, Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijay at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 8:12 PM Christian Mauderer <oss at c-mauderer.de>
> wrote:
>

>> Note that the repo works only most of the time. It's more of a test repo
>> for me that just collects the necessary commands and repositories so I
>> don't have to type everything manually.
>>
>> The dtc that I build there currently doesn't work. I removed the step
>> from the makefile so that the host dtc is used again

Understood. it is extremely useful for people getting started with rtems on
the BeagleBone though! On my Ubuntu 18.04 host the system dtc was version
1.4.5 which also didn't support the -@ option, so I took Vijays advice and
downloaded and built 1.6.0 which solved the problem.

> That's correct. The -@ or --symbols is only there in newer dtc versions.
>> Out of interest: Where did you find that the option is deprecated? It is
>> still there in 1.6.0.

That must be my mistake. I was sure I read that the other night but can't
find the website or thread I was reading now so it was probably either bad
information or my misinterpretation - apologies for that.

>     If I then run the following steps in the makefile manually,
>> >     bootstrap and bsp complete, but libbsd fails with the following
>> error:
>> >
>> >     [1497/2193] Compiling freebsd/sys/netpfil/pf/pf_lb.c
>> >     ../../freebsd/sys/arm/freescale/imx/imx6_ccm.c:54:10: fatal error:
>> >     arm/freescale/imx/imx_ccmvar.h: No such file or directory
>> >      #include <arm/freescale/imx/imx_ccmvar.h>
>> >               ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> >     compilation terminated.
>> >
>> > This bug was recently fixed in the rtems-libbsd ( for both master and
>> > 5-freebsd-12 branches), if you update to recent HEAD of the libbsd, then
>> > this error will hopefully not be there.

Thanks for this. I thought my rtems-libbsd repo was up to date, but I did
a git pull --recurse-submodules and now make libbsd succeeds.
output in a terminal session, so I think I am now in a position to make a
start on the eQEP driver.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards
James Fitzsimons