Interested in contributing to Beaglebone BSP

Christian Mauderer oss at c-mauderer.de
Mon May 4 15:52:04 UTC 2020

Hello James,

On 04/05/2020 12:26, James Fitzsimons wrote:
> Hi Christian and Vijay,
>
> Firstly thank you so much for your replies they were extremely helpful
> and much appreciated.
>
> On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 02:50, Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijay at rtems.org
> <mailto:vijay at rtems.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 8:12 PM Christian Mauderer <oss at c-mauderer.de
>     <mailto:oss at c-mauderer.de>> wrote:
>

>         Note that the repo works only most of the time. It's more of a
>         test repo
>         for me that just collects the necessary commands and
>         repositories so I
>         don't have to type everything manually.
>
>         The dtc that I build there currently doesn't work. I removed the
>         step
>         from the makefile so that the host dtc is used again
>

> Understood. it is extremely useful for people getting started with rtems
> on the BeagleBone though! On my Ubuntu 18.04 host the system dtc was
> version 1.4.5 which also didn't support the -@ option, so I took Vijays
> advice and downloaded and built 1.6.0 which solved the problem.

It's only relevant if you want to build overlays (which I do in my
repo). That is necessary for example when you want to use HDMI. If you
don't want HDMI you can just build the base FDT without the -@ option
and load only that. That should work fine too. If it doesn't work you
found a bug.

>         That's correct. The -@ or --symbols is only there in newer dtc
>         versions.
>         Out of interest: Where did you find that the option is
>         deprecated? It is
>         still there in 1.6.0.
>

> That must be my mistake. I was sure I read that the other night but
> can't find the website or thread I was reading now so it was probably
> either bad information or my misinterpretation - apologies for that.

No problem. I would have just tried to move to an alternative if that
option would have been deprecated.

Best regards

Christian