Need help cleaning up git repository

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Thu Nov 5 14:11:04 UTC 2020

I'm not as good at "git" as I should be.  I'd like some help cleaning up my git repository so that I can submit some changes.

In particular when I got started I committed some changes to my local copy of master without branching it, and then started merging changes on other branches against that.  So my RTEMS repository looks like this:

[dufault at gen6 rtems]$ git branch -rv
  origin/4.10   e3f6d35 cpukit/score: avoid NULL and races in priority mutex
  origin/4.11   a100457 leon,gr1553b: improve init check
  origin/4.8    48953df Remove (Obsolete).
  origin/4.9    344856b rpc: misaligned address exception in get_myaddress.c
  origin/5      7021c01 libfs/rfs: Check search bit map end on last bit
  origin/HEAD   -> origin/master
  origin/master 6823943 score: Fix unused parameter 'lock' warning

[dufault at gen6 rtems]$ git branch -v
  add-uart-to-beatnik a3559e9 put rtems_shell_move_left() in correct file.
  atsam-fixes         3926a46 Merge branch 'master' into atsam-fixes
  master              34f0ccb [ahead 17] Merge branch 'master' of git://git.rtems.org/rtems
* mvme5500-final      5f5f9c7 Merge branch 'master' into mvme5500-final

You can see that my master is ahead of origin/master, and my local branches that I'd like to clean up (e.g. mvme5500-final, atsam-fixes) also include those changes.

I think I want to do something like:
- Rename my local master branch to a branch name that is related to the changes I put in;
- Drop the changes I made that on that branch in the other branches, e.g mvme5500-final, atsam-fixes etc so that those branches are now based on origin/master and only have the changes related to what I was working on.

Any advice?

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.