Python problems on OS X

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Nov 17 20:25:09 UTC 2020

On 17/11/20 9:19 pm, Andrew Butterfield wrote:
> I keep getting a python error when trying to build the tool suite on
> OS X. The end of the error log is:
>
> ```
> checking whether to use python... /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2

That looks like RSB has provided a suitable path.

> checking for python... no
> configure: error: no usable python found at /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2
> make[1]: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> shell cmd failed: /bin/sh -ex  /Users/butrfeld/REPOS/esa-qual/modules/rsb/rtems/build/sparc-rtems6-gdb-0295dde-x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0-1/do-build
> error: building sparc-rtems6-gdb-0295dde-x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0-1
>
> ```

What is the gdb configure command line the RSB uses?

> What are the criteria for python to be "useable"?

Does the following help?

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/source-builder/config/gdb-common-1.cfg#n7

On MacOS (darwin) I gave up on the library checks and assume if the header is
present the Python install is OK.

After the build fails there should be a config.log file under `build` ...

 find build -name config.log

Does it provide any insight into why the configure failed?

> I have removed all traces of non-native (brew) pythons that I can find.

OK.

> I followed the virtual environment instructions in the rtems-central README.md

I do not use rtems-central or follow it in detail.

> :- which python
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2
>
> :- which python3
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/bin/python3

That looks fine. Did you install python3?

> My machine is running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Catalina should be fine. I installed Big Sur yesterday and was going to test it
today. I suspect it will only have python3 support.

Unrelated, does Catalina support APFS?

Chris