Python problems on OS X

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Nov 17 20:58:12 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 2:01 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 3:19 AM Andrew Butterfield
> <Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie> wrote:
> >
> > I keep getting a python error when trying to build the tool suite on
> > OS X. The end of the error log is:
> >
> > ```
> > checking whether to use python...
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2
> > checking for python... no
> > configure: error: no usable python found at
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2
> > make[1]: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> > shell cmd failed: /bin/sh -ex
> /Users/butrfeld/REPOS/esa-qual/modules/rsb/rtems/build/sparc-rtems6-gdb-0295dde-x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0-1/do-build
> > error: building sparc-rtems6-gdb-0295dde-x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0-14

This is a candidate for the worst error message ever. It isn't looking for
the
Python interpreter executable, it is looking for Python development
libraries
and headers.  There is a lot of code above this point but the final
check/error
is in gdb/configure.ac. If the build tree is still around, look at
gdb/config.log
for details on what it really tried.

On CentOS, the package is named something like python-devel. My recollection
is that it needs to be Python2 but that may be outdated based on the gdb
version.