How to run RISC-V test applications using qemu?

Jan.Sommer at dlr.de Jan.Sommer at dlr.de
Wed Nov 25 15:18:57 UTC 2020

>On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 at 15:41, <Jan.Sommer at dlr.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried to experiment a bit with the riscv BSPs.
>> I could run them using the SIS simulator, but failed with qemu.
>> Regarding qemu I found this ticket:
>> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3608
>>
>> In one mailinglist thread (from 2018) someone said it worked with a current master version of qemu.
>> I have compiled qemu-5.1 and qemu-5.2-rc2. Does anyone know if those version have the necessary patches included?
>>
>> Then another source of error could be the command line parameters I used:
>> qemu-system-riscv32 -nographic -machine virt -m 2G -bios none -nographic -net none -serial stdio -monitor none -kernel ticker.exe
>>
>> Does someone have an example for a working set of command line options?
> Which BSP did you build and how did you build it? Can you try with -bios ticker.exe and discard the -kernel option? Did you try RV64?

I used the griscv BSP. If I read it correctly, it should be a rv32imafd processor. I built the BSP from current master and used the waf build system to build it.
I also just tried (with qemu-5.2.0-rc2) the following command using bios instead of kernel:

qemu-system-riscv32 -nographic -machine virt -m 2G -nographic -net none -serial stdio -monitor none -bios /tmp/riscv/rtems/build/riscv/griscv/testsuites/samples/ticker.exe

I still don't get any output. It might very well be that the serial or monitor configuration is not correct. These options are always a bit mysterious to me.
FWIW if I use "-serial stdio -monitor none" I can close qemu with Ctrl+C. If I use "-serial mon:stdio" Ctrl+C does not work.
Using qemu-system-riscv64 doesn't change anything.