Building a library for use with RTEMS via CMake

Andre.Nahrwold at dlr.de Andre.Nahrwold at dlr.de
Mon Jul 19 13:17:26 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have built RTEMS 5 and its tools for the Xilinx Zynq Zedboard and installed the BSP and tools at a certain position on my machine.
The tools are added to the PATH variable and RTEMS_BSPS is also available in the environment.

Now we need to build a library for the use with RTEMS via CMake.
For this we wanted to use the toolchain files.
Does anybody know how to correctly setup such a toolchain file using the RTEMS compiler?

We managed to get a toolchain file working which at least built the library.
But when we wanted to link to this library during compilation of a RTEMS application we got a bunch of errors due to undefined references to standard library functions.
Does anybody has a clue where this might origin from?

Building a RTEMS application which does not use the own library works fine.

Our toolchain file looks like this:

# CMake toolchain file for ARM
# The compiler is based on
# The RTEMS_BSPS environment variable is expected to be set.
set(ARCH arm)
set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME RTEMS5)

set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "" CACHE STRING "ARM RTEMS5 gcc additional compiler flags" FORCE)

set(RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{RTEMS_BSPS}/../../tools/bin)

set(CMAKE_C_COMPILER ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-gcc CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 gcc" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-gcc CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 gcc" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_AR ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-gcc-ar CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 ar" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_RANLIB ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-gcc-ranlib CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 gcc ranlib" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_RANLIB ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-ranlib CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 ranlib" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_READELF ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-readelf CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 readelf" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_STRIP ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-strip CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 strip" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_ADDR2LINE ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-addr2line CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 addr2line" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_LINKER ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-ld CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 ld" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_NM ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-nm CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 nm" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_OBJCOPY ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-objcopy CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 objcopy" FORCE)
set(CMAKE_OBJDUMP ${RTEMS_TOOLS_PATH}/arm-rtems5-objdump CACHE PATH "ARM RTEMS5 objdump" FORCE)

set(CMAKE_TARGET_CONFIG_POSTFIX .rtems5_gcc_arm)

Best regards
Andre Nahrwold
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e. V. (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute for Software Technolog | SRV-OSS BS | Lilienthalpl. 7 | 38108 Braunschweig | Geb. 112C Raum 001
M.Sc. Andre Nahrwold | Telephone +49 531 295-3834 | andre.nahrwold at dlr.de
DLR.de