GSoC Introduction

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri May 21 13:32:52 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 7:03 AM Matthew Joyce <mfjoyce2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sir,
>
> I think that makes sense. I'll put some time into it and will follow
> up in our first meeting next week.

I sent an email to newlib@ and cc'ed you but you should subscribe.

Corinna said that winsup/cygwin/strsig.cc could be a good starting point
or reference. I tend to think providing the historical BSD interfaces and
the
newer POSIX ones is a good thing.

psignal() and psiginfo() would be good to provide also but the
implementation
there is strictly Cygwin specific in details. It should be possible to add
an
RTEMS implementation to the RTEMS source for these.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that when you add a prototype to
a POSIX header, you need to add a corresponding compile-only test to
testsuites/psxtests/psxhdrs. Lining up all the headers as a starting point
and picking at the methods you mentioned would be a good first step.
Hopefully one set of patches to the headers and you don't touch them
again for the rest of the summer.

> Now I'm about to jump on a
> transatlantic flight with my four-year-old (Please wish me
> luck)...Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Hope the four year old does well. That's younger than when we first
did a trip to Europe with our four children. I think the youngest was
about 10 then. I joked that they all had to be self-propelled with their
own carry on gear, no stroller, and no car seats.

--joel