mvme2500 PCIe support

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Nov 12 14:03:36 UTC 2021

Hello Brendan,

On 12/11/2021 00:53, Brendan Chandler wrote:
> I've been looking at running RTEMS 5 on an MVME2500 board.  So far I've
> used the qoriq BSP which boots and connects to the network, but it lacks
> PCI support.  My goal with PCI support for this board is to get VME bus
> working with EPICS.
>
> Does anyone have PCI support for this board working already?  If not,
> I'd like to work on getting it added, though I'm somewhat new to RTEMS,
> BSPs, and even PCI so I appreciate any help or guidance anyone can provide.
>
> I played around with porting some of the PCI code from the other PPC
> BSPs (mvme3100 or 5500) but couldn't get all the devices found in the
> config space.  Since the board supports PCIe, I'm wondering if it would
> make sense to try to implement PCIe support for it instead.  Before
> starting that work, I thought I'd post my intentions here and get
> people's opinions and guidance.

we use PCIe on the QorIQ (T4240 in our case).  Mainly for NVMe storage
devices. It works really well and the performance is great. We use the
PCI device support from libbsd as well as the NVMe driver. However, we
use a proprietary PCI bus driver written in C++. I tried to port the
FreeBSD PCI bus driver for this platform to RTEMS, but it had not enough
time to finish it in my given time budget.

So the status is:

1. PCIe works in general on this platform.

2. An open PCI bus driver is missing.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER