Outdated list of BSPs in rtems-tools/config

oss at c-mauderer.de oss at c-mauderer.de
Sun Sep 17 14:34:22 UTC 2023

Hello Peter, Thomas, Karel,

Am 14.09.23 um 22:15 schrieb Karel Gardas:

>    Hello Thomas,
>
> On 9/14/23 21:35, Thomas DOERFLER wrote:
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> just my two cents regarding eTPU: NXP has more or less left the
>> PowerPC architecture and favor ARM for automotive applications.
>>
>> But the MPC5xxx controllers were developed in some sort of cooperation
>> with ST microelectronics. And ST is still actively playing with this
>> family. E.g. the SPC564 is still equipped with the eTPU. So the legend
>> lives on ;-)
>
> indeed, but even ST Micro probably plans to migrate their customers
> slowly to their brand new ARM-based chips for automotive: Stellar 32-bit
> Automotive MCUs [1]. Although I must add that "Longetivity" is extended
> to 20 years for your mentioned SPC56x, whatever that means exactly...
>
> Anyway, I'm afraid, sun is setting on PPC even in automotive business...

I don't really know a lot about the eTPU. But after reading a bit about
it, I stumbled across a presentation from ST and a company called Hycon
(Hybrid Controls) that describes a eTPU to GTM migration (see [1]). The
presentation seems to be part of a Bosch event focused on that GTM (see
[2]). There has been a second event a few years later (see [3]). That
GTM seems to be an IP core that is licensed by multiple chip vendors.

I found it in a number of the PowerPC based chips from ST. But beneath
that, I also found it in some ARM chips from ST that have a "proposal"
status (for example [4]). One of the presentations from Bosch from 2022
mentions that it is implemented by Infineon, ST, Renesas and NXP.

Like I said: I don't really know the eTPU. But if there is a migration
guide, there is a good chance, that it at least works for some cases to
replace the eTPU.

Best regards

Christian

[1]